(as of 2018-08-20)
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Wednesday August 15, 2018Here's our next set of releses, just as I'm getting ready to leave for the USAwest Square Dance Convention in Reno, NV. We have three new singing calls, three new patters, and two songs from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 870 - Rockin' Jayson Robert (Patter)
- RIV 869 - Zora's Dance (Patter)
- RIV 868 - Dancing In Dublin (Patter)
- RIV 867 - Do You Right Tonight (Vocal by Dan Nordbye and Ken Bower; formerly RB 214)
- RIV 866 - I'll Be, You Be (Vocal by Kaz Tsjuimura, Kiyomi Taneyama and Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kaz and Kiyomi)
- RIV 865 - All The Sweet (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; formerly RB 225)
- RIV 864 - It's Shouting Time In Heaven (Vocal by Duke Okada, Kumi Takahashi and Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi and Duke)
- RIV 845 - Victory In Jesus (Vocal by Mitchell Osawa, Koji Harai, Ko Iwata and Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Koji, Ko and Kumi)
Our Japanese friends really enjoy doing gospel tunes! Check them out!
Posted on Tuesday July 24, 2018Here come our August releases: three new tunes, a couple of songs from the classic Red Boot library, and three new patters.
- RIV 863 - Deep Fried (Patter)
- RIV 862 - Tall Tales (Patter)
- RIV 861 - Pepperoncini (Patter)
- RIV 860 - Life Is Like A Mountain Railway (Vocal by Kaneko Jr., Hiromi Kaneko, Kuniko Kawashima, and Mitchell Osawa [courtesy Elite Records], with harmony by Hiromi and Kuniko)
- RIV 859 - Sing, Sing A Song (Vocal by Keita Takahata, with harmony and Japanese vocal by Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 858 - Ramshackle Shack (Vocal by Kumi Takahashi, Duke Okada, Mitchell Osawa [courtesy Elite Records], with harmony by Kumi and Duke)
- RIV 857 - I May Be Used (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RB 2995)
- RIV 856 - I Love New Orleans Music (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RB 291)
Posted on Thursday June 14, 2018We're releasing our July titles ahead of the National Square Dance Convention in Kansas City at the end of the month. (Will we see you there?) We have three songs from the classic Red Boot library (two of them Elvis Presley songs), and three new patters:
- RIV 855 - Bring Back Your Love To Me (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RB 181)
- RIV 854 - Are You Lonesome Tonight (Vocal by Scott Smith from Chic Recordings, formerly RB 3009)
- RIV 853 - Swing Down Sweet Chariot (Vocal by Ted Kennedy, formerly RB 3066)
- RIV 842 - Bluegrass Swing (Patter)
- RIV 841 - Forest Falcons (Patter)
- RIV 840 - Cotton Pickers (Patter)
Posted on Friday May 18, 2018We have three new patters, and six re-releases from the classic Red Boot library, including two patriotic songs in time for Memorial Day and the 4th of July:
- RIV 852 - Arkansas Traveler (Patter)
- RIV 851 - Seahorses (Patter)
- RIV 850 - Brussel Sprouts (Patter)
- RIV 849 - Baby I'm Burning(Vocal by Bob Elling, formerly RB 242)
- RIV 848 - America The Beautiful (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly GS 715)
- RIV 847 - God Bless America (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone, formerly GS 712)
- RIV 846 - Song In The Night (Original Red Boot vocal by Bill Harrison (courtesy ESP Recordings), formerly RB 293)
- RIV 844 - Ragged But Right (Vocal by Steve Moore (courtesy Chic Recordings), formerly GS 721)
- RIV 843 - Gonna Have A Party (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RB 286; includes harmony track)
We'd like to credit Terry Reardon from San Diego for mixing and enhancing the music on these re-releases. Dan also spent a whole day in Terry's studio, recording vocals. Thanks, Terry!
Posted on Tuesday May 01, 2018Our latest mini-package has just hit the website! 2018 Summer Gold features 8 titles for $40, or you can buy individual titles for $10 each.
One of these titles is a patter that has been creating a stir on Facebook by callers who heard it prior to its release. RIV 1022 - Boogie Sticks is now available!
The full list of Summer Gold titles:
- RIV 1016 - Heaven Is My Woman's Love (Vocal by ESP's Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 1017 - Calico Pie (Vocal by ESP's Darryl Lipscomb)
- RIV 1018 - When I Saw Your Face In The Moon (Vocal by Ron Schneider)
- RIV 1019 - Turn It On (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; split-track harmony and background vocals by Chic's Steve Moore and by Carol Hilliard (Reardon))
- RIV 1020 - Big Rock Candy Mountains (Vocal by Chic's Scott Smith)
- RIV 1021 - I Wish It Would Rain (Vocal by Mike Pogue)
- RIV 1022 - Boogie Sticks (Patter)
- RIV 1023 - One And Only (Vocal by Ko Iwata, Keita Takahata, Elite's Mitchell Osawa and Kumi Takahashi)
All now available at the Riverboat website, on the Packages page.
Pick one or two, or get all 8 for half the price of the individual titles!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578