(as of 2017-04-24)
|All Time||Last 12 Months||Last 30 Days|
Posted on Tuesday April 18, 2017As May approaches, we're not only releasing a remake of a Red Boot song (and re-releasing another Red Boot), but we're also starting to release some of the songs from our 2017 Gold Package.
- RIV 659 - All I'm Missing Is You (vocal by Kaz Tisjumura, formerly RBS 1268)
- RIV 660 - Seven Spanish Angels (vocal by Dan Nordbye)
Note that RIV 660 is NOT just a re-release of RBS 1283. It's a remake, with a much less rushed feel to it. Check it out!
The following songs are being released as singles out of the 2017 Gold package:
- RIV 686 - Old Joe Clark (Patter)
- RIV 687 - Cajun Patter
- RIV 690 - Something Special (Patter)
- RIV 691 - Amarillo (alternate vocal by Lawrence Johnstone)
- RIV 697 - Somebody To Love (vocal by Royal's Patty Greene)
RIV 691 is not "Amarillo By Morning" -- it's Tony Christie's "(Is This The Way To) Amarillo." Bob Baier was selected to do the vocal, but he hasn't been able to record for a while so Lawrence was asked to do an alternate vocal. Take a listen to the music -- it has the potential to be a show-stopper!
We've just added a background vocal track (with the vocals on a split track so you can fade them in and out) to RIV 426 - Lion Sleeps Tonight. It'll be included with all new purchases -- and, as always, if you've already purchased RIV 426 and would like the new track, just contact Bob Elling and it's free to you.
Posted on Tuesday March 21, 2017Our April releases include three new patters and four re-releases from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 656 - Funky City
- RIV 657 - Pool Shark
- RIV 658 - Everybody Romp
- RIV 726 - Surround Me With Love (vocal and harmony by Duke Okada)
- RIV 727 - Houston (vocal by Duke Okada, harmony by Kumi Takahashi -- this is the Gatlin Brothers song, not the one by Dean Martin)
- RIV 728 - Day O (English and Japanese vocals by Hiromi Kaneko and Kuniko Kawashima)
- RIV 732 - Lay Down Beside Me (vocal and harmony by KazTsujimura
Posted on Wednesday February 15, 2017We start off our new releases by renumbering a couple of older releases, because a bunch of CDs were sent out with conflicting numbers on them.
- RIV 646 - Honky Tonk Song (changed from RIV 647)
- RIV 655 - Rosa Rio (changed from RIV 648)
We have a few re-releases from the classic Red Boot library, plus three new patters and a singing call that used to be a patter:
- RIV 644 - One Tin Soldier (vocal by Isao Nakagawa)
- RIV 647 - Easy Loving (vocal by Hiroshi Nakagawa, formerly FW 503)
- RIV 648 - Gone At Last (vocal by Ko Iwata and Elite's Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi Takahashi, formerly RBS 1307)
- RIV 702 - Delta Dirt (vocal by Kaz Tsujimura, formerly RB 3063)
- RIV 723 - White Water (Patter)
- RIV 724 - Pony Express (Patter)
- RIV 725 - Wyoming (Patter)
- RIV 729 - Swamp Boogie Dance (vocal and lyrics by Dan Nordbye -- see our Facebook page for a video where Dan explains how he came up with it)
Posted on Wednesday January 18, 2017For our February releases, we have three new patters, three singing calls from the classic Red Boot library, and a new vocal (with different lyrics) for one of our previous releases.
First, the new vocal. Bob Farnell has taken RIV 669 - London Girls across the Irish Sea in time for St. Patrick's Day and turned it into a song about Irish Girls. If you buy the song, you get both vocals (and both sets of lyrics). As always, if you've already purchased RIV 669, you can get the new vocal for free by contacting Bob Elling.
The other releases for the month:
- RIV 717 - Rafting (Patter)
- RIV 718 - Liverpool (Patter)
- RIV 719 - Bessie Phipps (Patter)
- RIV 720 - Could I Have This Dance (formerly RBS 1258, vocal by ESP's Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 721 - Honky Tonk Saturday Night (formerly RBS 1261, vocal by ESP's Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 722 - Bobby Sue (formerly RB 273, new vocal by Aaron Wells)
Don't forget to check out the 30 new titles in our 2017 Gold Package! And, as always, be sure to visit our friends at ESP and Silver Sounds! Jack O'Leary at Silver Sounds has a new singing call out this month, called "Ain't No Sunshine" (SSR 335).
Posted on Thursday December 15, 2016We have four new patters and two new singing calls to bring out this month:
- RIV 665 - Do
- RIV 666 - Irish Spring
- RIV 667 - Ticking Clock
- RIV 668 - Steel Guitar and Friends
- RIV 669 - London Girls (vocal by Bob Farnell)
- RIV 716 - Summer Roads (vocal by Silver Sounds' Jack O'Leary)
All available for immediate purchase and download from the Riverboat website! You can also get gift certificates at the website!
Last month, I forgot to mention that Nils Trottmann of New-Beat had recorded a German vocal for "You Raise Me Up" (RIV 524). As always, if you've already purchased the song and would like to receive the new vocal, please contact Bob Elling directly -- new vocals are always free to those who've previously bought it. And, keep your eye out -- Nils is working on a German vocal for "White Christmas" (RIV 287).
Also, Ron Schneider is recovered and has finished the vocal for "Cincinnati Ohio" (RIV 654) released last month. It'll be sent to those who've already purchased the song. This is a good tie-in for the upcoming National Square Dance Convention in Cincinnati. (Will we see you there?)
Don't forget, New Year's Eve is coming up. We released "Auld Lang Syne" (RIV 621) earlier this year, with a bagpipe solo in the middle break -- if you haven't got your copy yet, get it before the big night!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578