(as of 2023-01-30)
NOTE: RIV 1062 - Silent Night does not appear in its proper location in this listing because it had to be split up into several smaller downloads. It is currently by far the top download for the year 2019!
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Tuesday January 24, 2023
With St. Patrick's Day coming up, we have several new releases to fit in with that theme...not to mention one that could be good for St. Valentine's day as well:
- RIV 1251 - Say It With Love (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone)
- RIV 1250 - Take Me Home Johnny (Irish) (Vocal by Jack O'Leary of Silver Sounds Music)
- RIV 1249 - Hot Cocca (Patter)
- RIV 1248 - Malibu (Patter)
- RIV 1247 - Roadie (Patter)
- RIV 1246 - Who Cares? (Vocal by Mel Wilkerson; formerly RIV 119)
- RIV 1245 - My Old Home In Mayo (Vocal by Jack O'Leary of Silver Sounds Music)
- RIV 1244 - You All Come (Vocal by Mitchell Osawa of Elite Records and Max Masao Ringe)
Our Irish tunes are My Old Home In Mayo, Take Me Home Johnny (both with vocals by Silver Sounds' Jack O'Leary) and Roadie (a patter based on "My Old Home In Mayo"). Check them out for the upcoming occasion!
Say It With Love was originally from an obscure 1944 movie called Swing Hostess, which contained several songs written by the team of Jay Livingston and Ray Evans. The picture starred "Liltin'" Martha Tilton, probably most famous for recording "And The Angels Sing" and "Loch Lomond" with the Benny Goodman orchestra. It's right up Lawrence Johnstone's alley!
You All Come might be more familiar with the shortened title "Y'all Come," recorded by a variety of artists from Bing Crosby in 1953 to Gillian Welch & David Rawlings in 2020. Mitchell and Max do their own bang-up job on our version.
Note that three of these titles are patters -- check them all out!
Posted on Wednesday December 07, 2022
We have a few new tunes for you in this month of December at www.riverboat.com/records. They're not Christmas songs...but they might make someone a nice Christmas present! Three re-releases from the classic Red Boot library, and three patters:
- RIV 1243 - How Could I Love Her So Much (Vocal by Mel Wilkerson, formerly RB 2992)
- RIV 1242 - Save The Last Dance (Vocal by Jack O'Leary, formerly RB 241)
- RIV 1241 - Count On Me (Vocal by Ted Kennedy, formerly RBS 1305)
- RIV 1240 - Country Is As Country Does (Vocal by Jason Raleigh)
- RIV 1239 - Sunshine Patter
- RIV 1238 - Sandstorm, The (Patter)
- RIV 1237 - Smiles (Patter)
Also, it's come to our attention that one of our staff callers, Nelda Eaton, has just lost her home and everything in and around it to a tornado in New Boston, TX. Luckily, she and her husband were not home at the time, but they literally have nothing left. Tony Oxendine has set up a GoFundMe for their benefit at this URL: https://gofund.me/9287d9b7. In the spirit of the season, please consider a donation to assist them!
Posted on Friday November 18, 2022
We have several releases for you in the days before the Thanksgiving holiday, including three new patters and several songs from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 1236 - I Can Only Imagine (Vocal by Jason Raleigh)
- RIV 1235 - Alberta Bound (Vocal by Steve Edlund)
- RIV 1234 - Solid As A Rock (Vocal by Jason Raleigh)
- RIV 1233 - Irish Countryside (Patter)
- RIV 1232 - Christmas Bells (Patter)
- RIV 1231 - Hold On (Patter)
- RIV 1230 - Walk Through This World With Me (Vocal by Ted Kennedy; formerly RB 3048)
- RIV 1228 - Third Rate Romance (Vocal by Mel Wilkerson; formerly RB 3042)
- RIV 1227 - Tennessee Stud (Vocal by Nelda Eaton; formerly RBS 1329)
- RIV 1226 - Rainy Days And Stormy Nights (Vocal by Elmer Sheffield of ESP Recordings; formerly RBS 1252)
We also have two new female vocals (with accompanying instrumentals) for two previously-released titles: RIV 245F - Those Were The Days by Krista Baird (in the key A), and RIV 265B - Oh Johnny Oh by Heather Reynolds (in the key G). As usual, if you've already purchased those titles and want the new tracks, contact Bob Elling.
There's a special story behind one of this month's songs. Kati Raleigh, wife of our staff caller Jason Raleigh, has been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. (A benefit dance is being organized — see this link for information on donations: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10225914845851575&set=gm.5681429128630766&idorvanity=4349848648455494) When Bob Elling found out that Kati said she wished someone would make the song "I Can Only Imagine" into a singing call, he had the music produced and called on Jason to supply the vocal. Please check it out!
Posted on Thursday October 27, 2022
We have a few more releases before the end of the month: three Christmas songs (two of them patters), as well as a couple of re-releases from the classic Red Boot library...
- RIV 1225 - Super Nova (Patter)
- RIV 1224 - Christmas Party (Patter)
- RIV 1223 - Hawaiian Christmas (Patter)
- RIV 1222 - Swingin' (Vocal by David Cox, formerly RBS 1271)
- RIV 1221 - Goodtime Charley's Got The Blues (Vocal by Mel Wilkerson, formerly RB 146)
- RIV 1220 - Help Yourself To Happiness (Vocal by Gary Baker)
- RIV 1219 - Dolly Parton Medley (Vocal by Krista Baird)
- RIV 1218 - That Christmasy Feeling (Vocal by Jack O'Leary)
If you don't recognize "That Christmasy Feeling," a Google search says that it was originally recorded by Johnny Cash. "Swingin'" is a John Anderson song that I remember hearing on the radio frequently in the early '80s, and Krista's singing SEVEN — count 'em, seven! — Dolly Parton songs in her medley. (And be sure to check out the Christmas patters, both these and the earlier ones you can find on our Themes page!)
Posted on Thursday October 20, 2022
We now have a new way to save money on our music! In addition to our packages, which generally give you a 50% discount over buying the included songs as individual titles, we are giving you the opportunity to create your own package, or bundle.
Add any 10 songs to your shopping cart. When you view the cart to check out, you'll notice a new button on the cart page that lets you bundle 10 songs together for $50. Got twenty songs? Do it twice -- the bundler takes the first ten qualifying songs in the cart, each time it's run. If there aren't enough songs, it'll tell you, so you can go add more. (Note that it only works on individual songs, not packages or CDs!)
Give it a try!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578