(as of 2018-02-24)
|All Time||Last 12 Months||Last 30 Days|
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Friday January 26, 2018Here are our February releases: 3 new patters, and 2 songs from the classic Red Boot library...
- RIV 813 - Hooked On Music (with ESP's Elmer Sheffield's original vocal from the RBS 1260 Red Boot release)
- RIV 814 - Canadian Mist (patter)
- RIV 815 - Hacienda (patter)
- RIV 816 - Dreamy Disco (patter)
- RIV 817 - He Got You (vocal by Dan Nordbye, including versions with background vocals with and without a split track; formerly RB 295)
Posted on Monday January 01, 2018Happy New Year!
With the coming of 2018, we're releasing the second in our new "Mini-Package" concept. (The first, of course, was the 2017 Christmas package with 6 titles.) We have 8 new titles, including 7 singing calls and one patter:
- RIV 1000 - Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby (Vocal by Ken Bower)
- RIV 1001 - Story Of My Life (Vocal by Nils Trottmann)
- RIV 1002 - Fare Thee Well (Vocal by Silver Sounds' Jack O'Leary)
- RIV 1003 - Chasin' That Neon Rainbow (Vocal by Ted Clements)
- RIV 1004 - Best Is Yet To Come (Vocal by Paul Moore)
- RIV 1005 - When Can I See You Again (Vocal by Masao Max Ringe)
- RIV 1006 - My Tipperary Girl (Vocal by Silver Sounds' Jack O'Leary)
- RIV 1007 - Raspberry Pi (Patter)
"My Tipperary Girl" will make a good song for St. Patrick's Day in March. ("Fare Thee Well" also has a hint of the Irish to it.) "Raspberry Pi" is a version of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Bluesberry Hill," but it's not an exact note-for-note reproduction -- give it a listen!
The package price is $40 for all 8 titles, but you can buy single titles out of the package for $10 each. (So, if you like more than three, just get the whole thing!)
Posted on Tuesday December 12, 2017Because Christmas is coming, we're bringing out our January releases a little early. We know you'll be too involved with the festivities if we wait too long!
We have three new patters this month, and several tunes from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 812 - Running Bear (Vocal by Ken Burke, formerly RB 3043)
- RIV 811 - Shine On Harvest Moon (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone, formerly RB 3028)
- RIV 810 - Faster Horses (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, and includes a track with background vocals on the taglines; formerly RB 207)
- RIV 809 - Jefferson Airplane Patter
- RIV 808 - Jump Down Patter
- RIV 807 - Dandiya Patter
- RIV 806 - Tight Fittin Jeans (Original Red Boot vocal by Elmer Sheffield; formerly RBS 1263)
- RIV 804 - Old Country Church, The (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe, Keita Takahata, Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi; includes harmony track)
Please accept our best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and for whatever other holidays you might celebrate in this season!
Posted on Friday November 17, 2017This month, we have the last few titles from last year's Gold package making their debuts as singles. Plus, we have three new patters and seven — count 'em, seven — singing calls from the classic Red Boot library!
- RIV 692 - Come On Down To My Boat Baby (Vocal by Darryl Lipscomb with harmony by Curt Braffet)
- RIV 694 - The Last Thing on My Mind (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe, Duke Okada, Kumi Takahashi; includes harmony track and Japanese vocal/harmony)
- RIV 695 - It Rains Everywhere I Go (Vocal by Kumi Takahashi and Elite's Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi)
- RIV 696 - Monday Morning Secretary (Vocal by Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 699 - Cry Cry Cry (Vocal by Jerry Galbreath)
- RIV 789 - Mighty Mouse (Patter)
- RIV 790 - Random Thoughts (Patter)
- RIV 805 - Queen Of The Dance (Patter)
- RIV 788 - Night Train To Memphis (Formerly RB 173) (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe, Kiyomi Taneyama, Isao Nakagawa with harmony by Kiyomi and Isao)
- RIV 797 - Prisoner Of The Highway (Formerly RBS 1276) (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe)
- RIV 798 - Louise (Formerly RB 227) (Vocal by Hiromi Kaneko on a Maurice Chevelier classic)
- RIV 799 - Smokey Mountain Smoke (Formerly RB 221) (Vocal by Kuniko Kawashima)
- RIV 800 - Buckets (Formerly RBS 1243) (Vocal by Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 801 - Thank You World (Formerly RB 169) (Vocal by Elite's Mitchell Osawa, with harmony by Kumi Takahashi)
- RIV 802 - Rock And Roll I Gave You The Best (Formerly RB 187) (Original Red Boot vocal by Elmer Sheffield)
Be sure to check out our 2017 Christmas mini-package, with 3 patters and 3 singing calls. See the "Packages" page on the Riverboat website! And, as always, be sure to visit our friends at ESP and Silver Sounds!
Posted on Wednesday November 01, 2017To recognize the recent passing of legend Fats Domino, Riverboat is re-releasing the Red Boot version of one of his most recognizable hits:
- RIV 803 - Blueberry Hill (vocal by Lawrence Johnstone, formerly RB 2998)
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578