(as of 2018-04-20)
Now AvailableLois Elling's book, Teaching Clogging is now in its second edition. Buy a downloadable PDF copy here for $25
Posted on Tuesday April 17, 2018This time around, we have two brand-new songs from our Japanese friends, four songs from the classic Red Boot library, and three new patters:
- RIV 839 - Mama (Patter)
- RIV 838 - Romeo (Patter)
- RIV 837 - Wizard Of Oz (Patter)
- RIV 836 - This Is My Year For Mexico (Vocal by Ted Clements, formerly RB 196)
- RIV 835 - Hello Mexico (Vocal by Ted Clements, formerly RBS 1246)
- RIV 834 - Boogie Grass Saturday Night (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, formerly RB 3010)
- RIV 833 - Take Me Out To The Ball Game (Vocal by Bob Elling, with harmony on a split track by Dan Nordbye, Terry Reardon, Carol Hilliard and Leo Catt [courtesy Fine Tune Records]; formerly JBK 122)
- RIV 832 - Jesus Is Your Ticket To Heaven (Vocal by Duke Okada, Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony by Duke and Kumi)
- RIV 831 - You Can Feel It In Your Soul (Vocal by Max Masao Ringe, Keita Takahata, Mitchell Osawa, Kumi Takahashi, with harmony [with or without bass] by Masao, Keita and Kumi)
Posted on Wednesday April 04, 2018We've just added female versions of two songs out of our existing catalog:
- RIV 774 - I Need A Hero (female vocal by Krista Baird)
(From our 2018 Riverboat Gold package)
- RIV 352 - Medals For Mothers (female vocal by Regina Schulz)
Besides the vocals, I Need A Hero also includes a music track pitched for the female vocalist. Medals For Mothers now has a split-track harmony, with music on one channel and the harmony vocals on the other, so you can mix it to your satisfaction.
Also -- Medals For Mothers is a great song for Mother's Day, which is coming up next month. The orignal music that Justin Russell recorded his vocal on is still good for guys, but ladies can try the female tracks as well!
Posted on Friday March 23, 2018Here come our April releases: 5 singing calls (mostly from the classic Red Boot library, but one is a Riverboat tune from pre-website days), and 3 new patters!
- RIV 830 - Just Can't Wait (Patter)
- RIV 829 - Calendar Girl (Patter)
- RIV 828 - Together We Dance (Patter)
- RIV 827 - You'll Never Know (Vocal by Lawrence Johnstone; formerly RBS 1295)
- RIV 826 - We've Got The Music (Vocal by Ken Burke)
- RIV 825 - Tonight Carmen's Coming Back Home (Vocal by Scott Smith of Chic Recordings; formerly FW 507)
- RIV 824 - Dumas Walker (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; Harmony by Carol Hilliard (Reardon); formerly RB 3025)
- RIV 823 - Feel Good Blues (Vocal by Bear Miller; formerly RB 3084)
We've Got The Music was recorded by Roger Whittaker under the title "I Was Born." And, if you're looking for music for a movie night, You'll Never Know won the 1943 Academy Award for Best Original Song. (Sung by Alice Faye in "Hello Frisco Hello.")
Posted on Thursday March 08, 2018Here's the third in our new series of smaller packages (and the second in 2018). We're calling it 2018 Spring Gold, and it features two patters and 6 singing calls for $40, or you can buy individual titles for $10 each:
- RIV 1008 - File Gumbo (Patter) (Basic and Advanced vocals by Ted Kennedy)
- RIV 1009 - Dream Softly (Vocal by Duke Okada, Mitchell Osawa and Kumi Takahashi, with a harmony track by Duke and Kumi)
- RIV 1010 - Shine Your Way (Vocal by Kiyomi Taneyama and Max Masao Ringe with TWO harmony tracks -- one for ladies by Masao, one for men by Kiyomi)
- RIV 1011 - Country Boy Like Me, A (Vocal by Jack O'Leary)
- RIV 1012 - Chime Bells (Vocals by Ken Burke and Carol Hilliard (Reardon), and two different key instrumentals are included)
- RIV 1013 - Running Kind / Lonesome Fugitive (Vocal by Elmer Sheffield)
- RIV 1014 - Don't Forget To Remember Me (Vocal by Dan Nordbye, with a split track harmony cut included)
- RIV 1015 - Lone Ranger (Patter) (Plus, Advanced and Challenge vocals by Darryl Lipscomb)
These are now available on the Packages page at the Riverboat website!
Posted on Tuesday February 27, 2018We're a little late getting our March releases out. (Usually we like to get them out around the middle of the preceeding month, but we got sidetracked this time around!)
We have three new patters, and two singing calls from the classic Red Boot library:
- RIV 822 - Plan Ahead (Patter)
- RIV 821 - Alpine Patter
- RIV 820 - Mardi Gras (Patter)
- RIV 819 - Hello Dolly (Vocal by Elmer Sheffield, formerly RBS 1348)
- RIV 818 - Say You Love Me Again (Vocal by Dan Nordbye; harmony by Carol Hilliard (Reardon) with a split track; formerly RB 198)
(I never knew that the title to that last song was "Say You Love Me Again" -- I always thought it was "Rub It In!")
All of these are now available on the Riverboat website. Check them out -- and check back frequently, because we'll be releasing our next mini-package (2018 Spring Gold) in March!
About Riverboat Records
Riverboat Records was purchased in the 1980s by Bob Elling in the San Francisco Bay Area. His love of both square dancing and good music has driven his dedication to create the finest square dance music available. The early years produced several square dance records using top-notch musicians, including Phil Aaberg and Norton Buffalo.
Due to the priorities of raising a family, there was no new music produced for almost 20 years. Around 2005 Bob began to teach and call square dancing to local 3rd and 4th graders once a week. He loves teaching the kids and has a desire to use music that they could relate to.
A good friend and caller, Ken Bower, encouraged Bob to start recording square dance music again, and so he did. Ken then recorded the vocal for the first "new" recording on Riverboat, Misty.
Bob enjoys producing many types of songs and especially ones appropriate for grade schoolers. Some of his more popular songs for all ages include: Mickey Mouse, Oh Johnny Oh, Y.M.C.A., Heigh Ho, Funky Town, Best Years of Our Lives, Big Pig Jig, American Land, and On With the Show. Most of these recordings include alternate choreography that can be taught in just a few minutes to kids or adults. The kids have responded with amazing enthusiasm.
In addition, there has been a great deal of support from some of the best talent in the country to bring variety and more life to the music. These fun square dance tunes are fun for both kids and adults. Bob's dream is to have this music used in the classroom by school teachers all over the world.
Riverboat Records also has modern patter music with a great dance beat. The variety of music ranges from bluegrass to funky, so there's something for everyone.
In 2010, Riverboat introduced its Gold subscription series. For just $100, a package of 20 new hoedowns and singing calls is made available exclusively to subscribers. At the end of the year those titles enter the regular Riverboat catalog and a new package is made available to Gold subscribers.
Bob would like to acknowledge the help and support that he has received from Elmer Sheffield (ESP Records), Jack O'Leary (Silver Sounds), Michael Salacuse (Circle Left Recording), Bobby Kennedy, Carl Kaye, Tracy Brown, Rich Reel, and Lawrence Johnstone. He also wants to thank his wife, Lois, for her support in this endeavour that he loves so much.
Contact UsRiverboat Records
c/o Bob Elling
16000 Marcella St.
San Leandro, CA 94578